Springfield, IL -(Effingham Radio)- As Lyme Illness Consciousness Month begins, the Illinois Division of Public Well being (IDPH) is reminding individuals to take precautions in opposition to tick bites to forestall contracting ailments they might carry, like Lyme illness. Different tickborne ailments embody Rocky Mountain Noticed Fever, Tularemia, Ehrlichiosis, and Babesiosis.
To keep away from tick bites, residents ought to diligently examine themselves, their pets, and assist kids with a tick examine after spending time in areas the place ticks stay, corresponding to in and close to wooded areas, tall grass, and brush. Eradicating ticks inside a 24-hour interval reduces the chance of potential illness transmission.
Some suggestions for wholesome outside time:
• Study tick elimination and symptom consciousness (IDPH web site).
• Stroll within the middle of trails. Keep away from wooded, bushy areas with excessive grass and leaf litter.
• Put on light-colored clothes to make ticks simpler to seek out. Tuck lengthy pants into socks and boots.
• Apply an EPA-registered insect repellent containing 20% DEET, picaridin, IR3535, or Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus in response to label instructions.
• Conduct full-body tick checks on members of the family (underarms, ears, stomach button, behind knees, between legs, waist, hair and scalp) each two to a few hours. Additionally examine any gear or pets taken on outings.
• Put your garments within the dryer on excessive for 10 minutes (or one hour for damp garments) to kill ticks.
• Bathe or bathe inside two hours after coming indoors.
• In the event you discover a tick on your self, it’s typically useful to maintain the tick for species identification. Place the tick in rubbing alcohol or in a sealed bag/container to deliver to your healthcare supplier or native well being division for submission to IDPH. A submission type might be discovered on the IDPH web site.
In the event you turn out to be in poor health with fever and/or rash after being in an space the place ticks might have been, contact your well being care supplier. Some tick-borne diseases might be life-threatening. For instance, if untreated Rocky Mountain Noticed Fever might trigger demise as shortly as 5 days after symptom onset.
For extra data on Lyme illness and tick prevention please go to the IDPH web site.
For extra data on ticks in your space, please go to the IDPH Tick Surveillance Mapping Software: https://arcg.is/15fDSO.